Fluoride and Dental Health
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that builds strong teeth and prevents cavities. It can be found in tea, coffee, shellfish and some fruits and vegetables, as well as fluoridated water and toothpaste. Fluoride supports healthy tooth enamel and fights the bacteria that harm teeth and gums.
Adult and Baby Teeth need protection from decay
Fluoride can help to protect young and old teeth because it:
- Helps protect against surface decay in older adults by slowing and even reversing the development of cavities
- Helps protect against tooth decay in children by becoming incorporated into the development of permanent teeth, making it difficult for acids to demineralize the teeth
- Helps prevent early loss of baby teeth due to decay. Baby teeth are important because they help to guide the adult teeth developing underneath into the right place. Losing baby teeth early may result in the need for orthodontic treatment
- Helps speed remineralization as well as disrupts acid production in already erupted teeth of both children and adults
- Helps prevent painful and costly dental complications like tooth abscess or other permanent tooth damage
What happens during a Professional Fluoride Treatment at Toowong Village Dental?
When you visit us for your 6 monthly checks and cleans, our dentists or nurses will provide you with a professional fluoride treatment in the form of a highly concentrated gel. The treatment will be applied with a swab or brush.
These treatments have much more fluoride than other sources and they only take a few minutes to apply. You will be asked to avoid eating or drinking for 30 minutes after the treatment so the fluoride can fully absorb.
We believe that it’s our responsibility to apply fluoride treatments during your routine check and clean appointments and that this forms part of our overall care for your teeth.